I know its been over 2 weeks since I last updated my blog but honestly if you count job hunting as something to read about then I could go on for pages and pages. Initially when I got to London I did veg out for about a week on Belly's couch (three cheers for Belly for putting up with me) before I even thought about looking for work. Finally got around to updating my CV which is difficult to do when you are flying blind about what people might be looking for. Believe it or not but I have had more luck by uploading my CV onto monster.co.uk than actually ringing about specific positions advertised.
Apart from job hunting I have been out and about a bit - not much since I feel guilty since I should be finding a job. I did go into the British Museum which was interesting but when you have gone into the pharoahs tombs in the Valley of the Kings it does seem redundant in some respects. Not to say I didn't enjoy it - saw the Rosetta stone which was interesting - but I like the idea of seeing where it all comes from. Even if I have to be sick and tired (literally) to get it done.
Anyway I have registered with one temp agency and tried with a few others. I am willing to do filing or whatever but they never bother to read the email stating that I will do office admin work until I find something more permanent. The one temp agency that did get back to me quickly was called Australasian Talent. Yep leave it to the Aussies to get it right. The classic one I got back was an auto reply where it stated that I needed to understand they received several unsolicited CV's on a daily basis but their stringent ISO standards dictate that they will get back to me within 48-72 hours. I think this was about 4 days ago I sent this to them so obviously the ISO standards are not being met.....
The upshot of all this is that I have an interview tomorrow with a web design company to do project management (which I should probably be studying for at the moment) and maybe another interview next week for a web project manager position. I am also looking into amending my CV to align it with another job doing junior information architecture for a tourist website. Still making up my mind about that one.
Apart from that I found out yesterday when I registered with the temp agency I am advanced in Word and Excel and intermediate in PowerPoint and can type at 52 words per minute with 99% accuracy. Told them that I don't care what I do for work while I am looking for a more permanent job so hopefully I might be working next week sometime and earning some pounds.
At the moment Janelle and I were talking about going to Dublin on her birthday (14 July) for the weekend so may be getting a few more stamps in the passport again v.v.v soon.
As you have just read everything is still up in the air so until I am working who knows what I will be up to. Hope everyone back in Oz is well and will hopefully be able to update my blog with some work news very shortly.
Cheers
Toni
Apart from job hunting I have been out and about a bit - not much since I feel guilty since I should be finding a job. I did go into the British Museum which was interesting but when you have gone into the pharoahs tombs in the Valley of the Kings it does seem redundant in some respects. Not to say I didn't enjoy it - saw the Rosetta stone which was interesting - but I like the idea of seeing where it all comes from. Even if I have to be sick and tired (literally) to get it done.
Anyway I have registered with one temp agency and tried with a few others. I am willing to do filing or whatever but they never bother to read the email stating that I will do office admin work until I find something more permanent. The one temp agency that did get back to me quickly was called Australasian Talent. Yep leave it to the Aussies to get it right. The classic one I got back was an auto reply where it stated that I needed to understand they received several unsolicited CV's on a daily basis but their stringent ISO standards dictate that they will get back to me within 48-72 hours. I think this was about 4 days ago I sent this to them so obviously the ISO standards are not being met.....
The upshot of all this is that I have an interview tomorrow with a web design company to do project management (which I should probably be studying for at the moment) and maybe another interview next week for a web project manager position. I am also looking into amending my CV to align it with another job doing junior information architecture for a tourist website. Still making up my mind about that one.
Apart from that I found out yesterday when I registered with the temp agency I am advanced in Word and Excel and intermediate in PowerPoint and can type at 52 words per minute with 99% accuracy. Told them that I don't care what I do for work while I am looking for a more permanent job so hopefully I might be working next week sometime and earning some pounds.
At the moment Janelle and I were talking about going to Dublin on her birthday (14 July) for the weekend so may be getting a few more stamps in the passport again v.v.v soon.
As you have just read everything is still up in the air so until I am working who knows what I will be up to. Hope everyone back in Oz is well and will hopefully be able to update my blog with some work news very shortly.
Cheers
Toni

1 Comments:
G'day Tone,
Great to receive your phone call. Pity it was on a phone with a flat battery, whilst driving in the dark, at rush hour, in gale force arctic winds!
Tried ringing you on my new wireless VoIP phone, but I think the wind is playing havoc with the microwaves. Will try later.
You docs will be on the way shortly too.
Oh, and for a web designer, this blog site is a nightmare to navigate! Good content though (not quite up to style guide standard).
As you can tell it's been a bad day at work, so I'm taking it out on you!
Cheers,
Steve
Post a Comment
<< Home